I created this Prime Thyme cocktail to celebrate the 2013 Primetime Emmy Awards. My book Savory Cocktails was chosen to be in the Emmy Gift Bags.
- 4 spirigs fresh time (divided)
- 1 (½‑inch) piece peeled ginger (roughly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ounce gin or vodka (according to preference)
- 1 large, wide lemon peel ‘chip’ (for garnish)
- 1 dash Miracle Mile Yuzu bitters or other citrus bitters (optional)
In a sturdy, thick-bottomed pint glass from a Boston shaker, use a bar muddler to crush 3 sprigs thyme, ginger, sugar and lemon juice until the ginger is smashed and the thyme is well bruised; about 10 seconds. Pour the gin or vodka into the mixture; swirl or stir lightly until sugar is fully dissolved.
Fill the metal part of a Boston shaker 2/3 full with medium ice cubes. Pour the muddled gin or vodka mixture (including solids) over the ice, then cap the shaker with the pint glass. Shake vigorously until well chilled; about 20 seconds. Uncap the pint glass and use a Hawthorn strainer to strain the liquid from the shaker into a chilled cocktail or coupe glass; it’s fine if bits of thyme and ginger are included in the pour. Garnish with remaining thyme sprig and a lemon chip; its oil expressed onto the surface and rubbed onto the rim then dropped on top. Finish the cocktail with a dash of bitters, if using.