I know you don’t really hate okra. So try it pickled and see what I mean.
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 6 kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound okra, trimmed and halved lengthwise for larger okra
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 5 fresh jalapenos, halved lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed, then cut into quarters
Rinse the okra in a colander. Toss it with 3 tablespoons of salt. Let it drain into the sink for about 15 minutes.
Put the remaining salt, 1 cup water the vinegar, sugar, spices, onions and jalapenos into a medium sized non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. After a few minutes turn the heat off.
Rinse the okra under cool water to remove all the salt. Transfer the okra to a large heat proof bowl. Pour the pickling liquid over the okra. Let the mixture come to room temperature. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator, covered to cool completely. Serve cold.