This recipe for Peach Guacamole with Bacon switches out the tomatoes sometimes used in guacamole with peaches. Of course, we all know by now that tomatoes are actually a fruit, so this substitution makes sense. In texture, sweet-to-tart ratio, juiciness, and color, peaches make excellent stand-ins for fresh tomatoes.
Most people know pico de gallo as a fresh tomato-onion salsa, but it’s also the name of a Mexican chili powder used to season fruits and vegetables.
- 2 large ripe but firm avocados (peeled pitted and cut into 1-inch dice)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large peach (peeled, pitted and cut into ½-inch dice)
- 2 slice crisp-cooked bacon (chopped)
- 2 teaspoon minced jalapeño (optional)
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- pico de gallo spice blend (see note)
- tortilla chips (for serving)
In a large bowl place the diced avocado, lime juice, and salt; toss to coat. Using a fork mash the avocado into a chunky paste, the gently fold in peaches, bacon, jalapeño (if using), and cilantro (if using). Spoon the guacamole into a serving bowl and sprinkle lightly with pico de gallo spice blend. Serve with chips.