Pea tendrils are so sweet and tender and this bold Asian flavored warm vinaigrette really sets of their best qualities in this pea tendril salad.
- ½ pound tender young pea tendrils
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon asian fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 small red thai chili pepper thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup peanut oil
- ½ cup shallots thinly sliced
- black sesame seeds for garnish
1. Rinse, drain and gently pat dry pea tendrils and coarsely chop for easier eating. Place them in a serving bowl or platter. 2. Combine vinegar, fish sauce, salt, sesame oil and red Thai chili slices in a small bowl. Let the flavors meld for a few minutes then pour over pea tendrils. Toss to coat. 3. Heat a wok or heavy skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the peanut or vegetable oil and swirl before adding the sliced shallots. Lower heat and fry until the shallots begin to get dark golden brown, stirring so they don’t burn (about 8 minutes). Spoon some of the hot oil and all of the shallots over the pea tendrils. The hot oil will wilt the tendrils in some places. 6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish and serve immediately.