Pad Thai Salmon Skewers with Grilled Nectarines and Baby Bok Choy. It’s exactly the kind of recipe I would throw together on a hot summer afternoon without giving it a whole lot of thought. Which is exactly how it came to be.
- 1 pound skinless, center cut salmon filet (cut into 16 sturdy chunks)
- 2 medium nectarines (pitted cut into 12 thick wedges)
- 6 tablespoon smooth “natural” peanut butter (stirred to combine the oil)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 2 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 5 tablespoon peach nectar (such as Kern’s)
- freshly cracked black pepper (as needed)
- 1 lime (quartered)
- 4 heads baby bok choy (halved lengthwise)
- 2 scallions (thinly sliced on the bias)
Prepare the grill: Soak four 12-inch bamboo skewers in cold water and preheat the grill (or grill pan) to medium-high.
Prepare the skewers: Evenly divide and thread the salmon and nectarines onto the skewers, alternating the fruit and fish. “Cap” off each end with a lime wedge.
Make the sauce: Whisk the peanut butter, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, chili paste, and fish sauce with the peach nectar until smooth; season sauce with pepper. Brush the salmon and nectarine skewers liberally with the sauce, then leave them to marinate for at least 20 minutes (and up to 24 hours). Save the remaining sauce for serving.
Once the grill is hot oil the grates carefully with a rag. Season the skewers with black pepper then place them, along with the bok choy, on the grill. Cook, turning as needed for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the bok choy is charred and wilted and the salmon is just cooked through. The bok choy may not take as much time to cook as the salmon, watch it carefully. (Alternatively, arrange an oven rack 4‑inches from the heating element and heat broiler on high.)
Move the bok choy and skewers to a serving platter as they finish cooking. Scatter the platter with sliced scallions and then drizzle some of the remaining sauce on top. Serve immediately.