Mediterranean flavors define this simple Orzo with White Beans pasta dish that features quickly sauteed calamari.
Oregano is strong flavoed herb. You may use less if you prefer.
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for calamari pan
- 1 pound calamari, cleaned, cone removed, cut into ¼ inch rings
- 2 (15 oz) cans of canneloni beans
- ¼ cup basil chiffonade (leaves rolled and cut into very thin ribbons) plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup oregano, leaves
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- ¼ cup basil-infused olive oil
- salt and pepper
Prepare orzo according to package directions, drain, place in a large mixing bowl, and stir in ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
In a large non-stick saute pan, saute calamari rings with a scant amount of oil, about 1 minute or just until opaque. Season with salt & pepper. Repeat with body portions, sauteeing about 2 minutes or just until opaque. Set aside.
Add the white beans, herbs, lemon juice and zest, basil-infused olive oil, and calamari to the orzo, and fold gently to combine. Season with Salt and pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature.