This recipe comes from Priya at Food and Laughter
Ingredients (for 4 burgers)
Potatoes – 1 per person if the size of a cricket ball, 1.5 if smaller
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Shelled Peas – half cup
Salt to taste
I cup breadcrumbs
4 hamburger buns, cut in half
8 lettuce leaves, washed and dried
7–8 slices of tomato
7–8 slices of onion
Fun Foods Sandwich spread (basically Thousand Island dressing)
Cheese slices if you want
2–3 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Boil the potatoes in salt water, peel them and mash them until pasty.
2. Boil the peas. Add the peas, the chopped onions and salt to the potatoes and shape into circles that just fit into the palm of your hand. Roll them in the breadcrumbs. Flatten them into 1‑inch thick disks.
3. In a frying pan, add the oil. When hot, shallow fry the potato burgers until lightly browned on all sides. Spoon up the oil onto the sides of the burgers while frying so the sides get nice and crisp too.
4. In another frying pan, add a knob of butter and lightly toast the cut sides of the burger buns until browned and crisp.
5. Assemble the burgers by applying a layer of the Fun Foods spread on the cut side of the bottom half of the burger bun. Top with a lettuce leaf, add tomato slices until the bun is covered, then add the potato burger.
6. Top the potato burger with another lettuce leaf and the onion slices. Slather the cut side of the top half of the burger bun with more Fun Foods spread and cover your burger. Add cheese slices wherever you want. Serve hot, with ketchup on the side.