I like to use both sweet and spicy Italian sausages in this recipe. These sausages are well-spiced and a great contrast to each other.
- 1 bunch arugula (about 4 ounces), stems trimmed, washed
- ¼ cup italian parsley, leaves only
- 5 clove garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ slice freshly ground pepper
- ½ pinch extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 assorted italian pork sausages (about 1 pound), both hot and sweet varieties
Pesto: This can be done up to a week in advance. Hold the pesto in the refrigerator until ready to use it. Place the arugula, parsley and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, scraping down sides if necessary. Add cheese, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and puree until smooth and well combined.
Sausages: Heat grill to medium-high heat. Prick sausages with fork to allow excess fat to drip. you may start the sausages in a fry pan. I do. Then move them to the flames to finish. Grill until cooked barely through, about 6–8 minutes. Serve the pesto with the grilled sausages.