Rich, creamy, smoky, pungent, and crunchy. These Grilled Little Gems with Peas and Scallion Cream make for an unexpected salad.
- 2 cup chopped scallions (use the whole thing greens to roots)
- 1 cup cream
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and smashed)
- fine sea salt (as needed)
- 8 large Little Gem lettuce heads (cut in half lengthways)
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- freshy cracked black pepper (as needed)
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper corns in brine (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley (leaves picked and finely chopped)
Make the scallion cream: Place scallions, cream, and garlic clove in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally until scallions are crisp-tender and garlic is soft about 10 minutes. Pour mixture into a blender. Secure lid; remove centerpiece to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel over the opening. Process until smooth, about 40 seconds. Season lightly with salt; set aside. You can make the scallion cream ahead of time. Cover and chill until needed.
Prepare grill for medium heat and lightly oil grates. Toss lettuce halves with olive oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Meanwhile, place a saucepan over low heat. Add the butter. Once it has melted and begins to foam add the chopped green peppercorns, and peas; cook gently for about 2 minutes. Add the scallion cream, stir in the mustard and bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in parsley and season to taste.
Grill lettuce, turning once, until outside of lettuce is lightly charred but inside is still firm, about 2 minutes per side.
Transfer the roasted gem halves to a warm serving platter or individual salad plates. Spoon some warm scallion sauce on top and serve immediately.