Grilled Cheese with Marinated Tomatoes: Smoky, buttery and toasty.
Do not crowd the pan when toasting. Work in batches if necessary and use more butter as needed.
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup sherry wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- ½ red onion (peeled and very thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 10 large basil leaves (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoon capers (rinsed, drained and crushed)
- 2 clove garlic (peeled and very thinly sliced)
- 2 pound very ripe large tomatoes (cut into ½‑inch-thick slices)
- 8 slice country white loaf,
- 10 ounce sliced smoked cheese, preferably comte, provolone or gouda (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter (or more if needed)
Make the marinated tomatoes: In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, parsley, thyme, pepper flakes, salt and several grinds of black pepper. Stir in the onion, basil, capers and garlic. Spread a little of the marinade on the bottom of a large baking dish. Top with a layer of tomatoes. Spread over a little more marinade, then another layer of tomatoes. Top with the remaining marinade, cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. The marinated tomatoes will keep up to 2 days.
Make the sandwiches: Place four slices of bread on a cutting board. Divide half the cheese slices evenly between the four slices, then top each with the 2 or 3 marinated tomatoes (with some herbs etc clinging). Top the tomatoes with the remaining cheese slices, then cover with the remaining slices of bread to form four sandwiches. Heat a large cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and swirl in the pan until it is melted and starting to bubble. Place the sandwiches in the pan and grill until the bread is a rich golden brown and the cheese has started to melt. Carefully flip the sandwiches over, add the remaining butter and continue to grill until the other side is browned and toasted. Slice the sandwiches in half and serve immediately.