This Gem Lettuce Salad with Calabrian Chiles, Parmesan, and Bread Crumbs comes from the menu at Jon & Vinny’s restaurant in Los Angeles, CA.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon oil-packed Calabrian chiles, drained (or about 2 whole, chopped)
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- ¼ cup (plus 2 tablespoons) extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan (plus more for serving, to taste)
- 2 tablespoon minced shallot
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black peper (for seasoning)
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon minced, fresh oregano
- 2–3 pinch garlic powder
- 4 heads of Little Gem lettuce (about 1 pound), leaves pulled apart
- minced flat leaf parsley leaves (as garnish, to taste)
Make the dressing: In a food processor, combine the first 11 ingredients and puree until blended. With the machine on, slowly drizzle in ½ cup grapeseed oil and ¼ cup olive oil. Scrape the dressing into a medium bowl and stir ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese and minced shallot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make the breadcrumbs: In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter into the remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the panko and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the oregano and garlic powder and season with salt. Transfer crumbs to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
Make the salad: In a large bowl, mix the lettuce leaves with ½ cup of the prepared dressing and season with salt and pepper. Toss, taking your time to make sure every leaf is uniformly coated. Layer lettuce on a serving platter attractively; top with the prepared bread crumbs. Garnish with plenty of grated Parmesan cheese and some parsley. Serve immediately, passing the remaining dressing at the table, as needed.