Skewers are a regular feature in al fresco Italian dining. There they are known as spiedini and these Chicken Skewers are served with a very flavorful tapenade of cucumbers, arugula and olives.
- 1.75 pound boneless chicken thighs, cut into 32 pieces
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- oil for grill
- 1 cup finely chopped, peeled and seeded cucumber
- ⅓ cup finely chopped arugula
- ⅓ cup finely chopped lindsay kalamata olives
- .75 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- very good olive oil for drizzling
In a large bowl, combine chicken, wine, garlic, and rosemary; stir to combine. Cover mixture and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Prepare a charcoal grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot coals (medium-high for gas). Thread chicken pieces onto 8 skewers season with salt and pepper. Grill skewers on a lightly oiled grill rack, turning frequently, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer skewers to a large serving plate. In a bowl stir together cucumber, arugula, olives, theme and red pepper flakes. Spoon mixture over skewers and drizzle with olive oil.