Cheddar Cheese pancakes top this BLT inspired salad. It’s made even more luxurious with warm bacon vinaigrette.
The Warm Bacon Vinaigrette recipe may be found here: http://www.sippitysup.com/warmbaconvonaigretterecipe
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, coarsely ground
- 6 slices of pre-cooked bacon broken into chunks (from making the dressing)
- 2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, cut into ¼‑inch dice
- 4 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more if necessary 3 or 4 heirloom tomatoes, sliced into ½‑inch thick round
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced into ½‑inch thick rounds
- 2 avocados, pitted, sliced and peeled
- 1 small head baby romaine lettuce leaves, left whole
- warm bacon vinaigrette (see recipe)
Stir together cheese, sour cream, bell pepper, scallions (reserving some for garnish), flour, mustard, ½‑teaspoon salt, ¼‑teaspoon pepper, cayenne, and egg yolks in a large bowl. Set this aside.
In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites into reserved batter. Do not mix or stir vigorously. Try and keep the air from deflating too much from the yolk, but do mix thoroughly.
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil) in cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 3 or 4, spoon some of the batter into skillet forming 2 to 3 inch cakes. Use the back of the spoon to achieve a uniform shape about ½ inch thick.
Cook, turning once, until they are well-browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. They can be difficult to turn if you attempt to do so too early, so have patience. You may (add more fat oil at any point if skillet seems dry. You should get 6 to 8 pancakes.
In the meantime, arrange a few rounds of tomato, avocado slices and some whole lettuce leaves onto each plate.
Re-heat the vinaigrette, stirring or whisking until quite hot.
Set 1 or 2 of the Cheddar cheese pancakes onto each plate and sprinkle some of the cooked bacon chunks over the top. Season with salt and pepper, then garnish with additional scallions.
Just before serving drizzle some of the hot vinaigrette over everything. It will wilt and cook slightly some of the vegetables producing a nice variety of textures.