Sweet dates, sour lemon, bitter celery, salty Parmesan, and spicy red pepper flakes. This humble Celery Salad with Dates, Almonds, and Parmesan manages to get all taste buds firing at once.
- ½ cup coarsely chopped, toasted almonds
- 8 tender, interior celery stalks (thinly sliced on a diagonal)
- ½ cup tender, interior celery leaves
- 6 dates (pitted, coarsely chopped)
- 3 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 ounce Parmesan cheese (thinly shaved)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
Toss almonds, celery, celery leaves, dates, and lemon juice in a medium bowl; season lightly with salt and black pepper. Add Parmesan and oil and toss gently; season with red pepper flakes.