This pizza is full of rich and nuanced flavors. The pink peppercorns are a sweet and peppery surprise. But the super caramelized onions are the real star.
Caramelized Balsamic Onion Pink Peppercorn Pizza with Rosemary & Goat CheesePrint This Recipe Total time Yield 4Published
The pink peppercorns are widely available growing on street corners in my area, but they can also be found at specialty markets and gourmet shops. They are not a vital ingredient to this recipe, but do add a floral and pepper nuance to the â€œsweet and sourâ€ onions and are well worth the effort in hunting them down.
- 12 oven roasted cipolline onions
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, minced
- 25 pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- store bought pizza dough
- 6 ounce goat cheese
1. Put a pizza stone a 450 degree F pre-heated oven.
2. Roughly chop the onions. Add enough balsamic to cover, along with sugar, salt and about 3/4 of the crushed pink peppercorns. Let Marinate 2–3 hours.
3. Strain the onions over a bowl, setting the marinade aside for use later in this recipe.
4. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and stir well. Lower the heat and let the onions caramelize further, stirring frequently. Do not cook too fast or they will fry rather than caramelize.
5. Once they are nicely colored, add the balsamic marinade to the pan, along with the butter. Stir frequently and let the mixture cook down to a jammy consistency.
6. Meanwhile, rest your dough at room temperature at least ½ hour. Then form into a 12â€ round.
7. Spread the onion mixture over the center of the pizza leaving a 3/4 inch border of crust. Atop this mixture place 8 or so rounds of goat cheese. Garnish with decorative bits of rosemary and brush the edges of the pizza with olive oil. Carefully slide the pizza onto the pre-heated pizza stone and bake 12–15 minutes until bubbly and the goat cheese is beginning to brown.
8. Remove the pizza from the oven and garnish with the remaining pink peppercorns. Serve Hot.