2 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 teasp oregano leaves, minced
2 teasp fresh lemon zest
2 lb baby brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed (cut larger ones in two)
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
1 & 1/2 cups pancetta in small dice, or lardons
3 tbsp red onion, chopped
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 & 1/2 cups chicken broth, more if needed
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix bread crumbs with the oregano and
zest. Pour 1/4 cup olive oil onto a cookie sheet, followed by the bread crumb
mixture. Mix well. Toast it in the oven, tossing frequently, until golden brown, 10
to 12 minutes.
2. Heat butter and remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
until foamy. Add the brussels sprouts cut side down, sprinkle with salt and
pepper, and sauté, until bottoms lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Work in
batches until all the sprouts are browned removing them to a plate when finished
3. Leaving any liquids in the pan add the diced pancetta, and sauté, tossing
frequently, until they begin to brown.
4. Return all the sprouts to the pan and cook over medium high heat until well
browned and softened slightly, about 8 minutes more. The pancetta will be crisp.
Reduce heat, add red onion and garlic, and sauté until fragrant, 2 minutes.
5. Increase heat to high, add balsamic vinegar and stock, and cook, tossing
frequently, until sprouts are glazed and tender, about 10 minutes; add more stock
if needed. Taste, adjusting seasoning if necessary, and sprinkle with chopped
parsley. Transfer to a warm serving bowl and scatter bread crumbs on top.