Don’t waste the tops of beets and other root vegetables. Braised Beet Greens are more than just good for you, they’re delicious, too. They make a healthy alternative to pasta when served with meatballs.
Can be made several hours ahead and gently reheated before serving.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1-2 ½-inch diced carrots (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery (about ½ cup)
- salt and pepper (as needed)
- 3-4 anchovy fillets
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 pound beet greens (cut into 1-inch pieces, thick stems discarded)
- water (optional)
In a pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-low heat until the vegetables have softened. Add the anchovies and tomato paste, stirring often, until the anchovies dissolve and the tomato paste is deep red about 5 minutes. Add the beet greens, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted, about 7 minutes. Adjust consistency with a little water if necessary. Serve warm.