This is an unusual recipe. I admit that! It’s one of the TomatoMania contest winners. Think Zucchini Bread. Tomato Cupcakes?
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and mashed
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (use extra-concentrated tomato paste to keep the frosting from getting too moist and runny)
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add egg and mix well.
3. Mix in mashed beans and vanilla.
4. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
5. Add dry mixture to wet mixture. Do not over mix.
6. Stir in diced tomatoes.
7. Fill cupcake liners ½ full.
8. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when pressed lightly.
1. Mix butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Add more or less to make it as stiff as you like.
3. Mix in the tomato paste and vanilla extract.