This super simple Baby Zucchini Salad is big on fresh flavors, even though the white beans come from a can. I use very small, baby zucchini when I find them. The kind that’s less than an inch in diameter, but more mature zucchini is good too. In that case quarter them lengthwise before slicing thinly.
Baby Zucchini Salad with Yellow Bell Pepper, Green Onions and BasilPrint This Recipe Total time Yield 4Published
- ¼ cup lightly toasted hazelnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 3 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves (divided)
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup olive oil (plus more if needed)
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (plus more for seasoning)
- 2 cans (15 oz each) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 pound baby zucchini (trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (cut into ⅓‑inch dice)
- 4 green onion, sliced (white and light green parts)
- Parmesan cheese (as needed for garnish)
Make the dressing: Pulse the hazelnuts in a blender or mini food processor until they resemble coarse sand. Add the 1 cup basil leaves, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper. Blend on a high speed until smooth, adjusting consistency with more olive oil as needed. Pour the dressing into a container and keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Make the salad: In a medium bowl, mix together remaining basil leaves, cannellini beans, zucchini, bell pepper and green onions. Toss with some of the prepared dressing to taste (you won’t use all the dressing).
Divide the salad between 6 salad plates. Garnish with thinly shaved shards of Parmesan cheese to taste. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.