- 150 gram all-purpose flour
- 150 gram granulated sugar
- 35 gram ground almond meal (or other ground nut meal)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled and grated on the larges holes of a box grater)
- 8 ripe but firm apricots (halved and piited)
- demerara sugar (as garnish, optional)
- light whipped, lightly sweetend whipped cream (for serving, optional)
Set oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 4¼ x 14-inch rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom.
Place the first 8 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer (or vigorous hand beating) to beat the mixture together until it becomes pale and fluffy. Scrape and spread the mixture into the prepared tart pan. It should go almost all the way to the top but don’t overfill it, leave about ¼‑inch of space to accommodate the apricots. Take extra care to get it into all the corners and crevices and then smooth the top. Snuggle in the apricot halves on top, cut side up. Sprinkle with demerara sugar (if using).
Bake in the oven until puffed and golden brown, about 45 to 50 minutes. Use a cake tester to see for sure.
Cool the tart in the pan then carefully remove it before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if using).