Sautéed Broccoli Greens with Toasted Coconut is adapted from a favorite recipe for collard greens by
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (plus more for seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce (for seasoning)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil (or other mild flavored oil)
- 3 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 bunch broccoli greens (about 1 ½ lbs) before trimming)
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
Preheat oven to 350°.
Spread out almonds on a small baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop; transfer to a plate to stop cooking.
Spread out coconut on the same small rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to a plate to stop cooking. Turn oven off.
Create a slurry by mixing cornstarch and water in a small bowl until completely combined. Add soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, fish sauce and red pepper; stir slurry to combine and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add collard greens a handful at a time, tossing until wilted between additions. Cook, tossing occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in cornstarch slurry, cook a moment until slightly thickened then season with salt and more vinegar to taste. Move the cooked greens to a serving platter. Garnish with basil, toasted almonds and coconut.