The Hollywood Farmers Market inspires me. This Grilled Squid with Miner’s Lettuce Salad & Mint, Parsley, Anchovy Pesto is proof.
I didn’t wake up this morning thinking that this was what I wanted for lunch. But a trip up and down Ivar filled my bag with all the ingredients (except the garbanzo beans) that I needed to fully realize this recipe. I guess it’s been sleeping inside me for some time. Waiting for its moment.
It’s moment came when miner’s lettuce showed itself to me. It was right there. Just across the street from the Hollywood branch of the public library. Saying, “Look at me, I am an ingredient you’ve read about but have never used before. Lettuce make some trouble”.
It was practically a illicit proposal, I’ll have you know. I mean I always knew greens were hot. But these greens were smokin’! How could I resist? I am mean if lettuce could talk, this lettuce was screaming, “Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.”
So I countered, “If beauty were time, you’d be eternity.” After all, if you know me at all then you know “I can resist everything except temptation!”
serves 4 CLICK here for a printable recipe
- 2 t finely grated lemon zest, separated
- 6 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic clove, minced and separated
- 1 t pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1 c extra-virgin olive oil separated
- 2 c chopped flat-leaf parsley, chopped and separated
- 1 lb cleaned small squid bodies
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 T drained capers
- 2 medium shallot, minced and separated
- 1/2 c mint leaves, chopped
- 3/4 c extra-virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 bn miner’s lettuce
- 1 c cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1/4 c whole mint leaves
- 1/4 c whole flat-leaf parsley