- 3 onions, peeled and quartered, root end intact
- 2 cup coconut vinegar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 20 clove garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 whole thai bird chili peppers, halved lengthwise, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 pound boneless chicken thighs
- salt, as needed
- steamed jasmine rice with garlic, for serving (optional)
- garnish with egg, mango, pineapple and/or more chilis
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
In a medium bowl, combine onion wedges, vinegar, coconut milk, garlic, tumeric, bay leaves, chiles, and peppercorns. Add chicken; Stir to coat. Then let it marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Arrange chicken and onion wedges in a clay pot or Dutch-oven. Pour marinade over chicken, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes. Taste for salt and seasonings.
Preheat broiler. Remove chicken from pot, and place on a baking sheet or broiler pan. Place under broiler until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, continue to cook the remaining liquid in the pot until it reaches a creamy consistency.
Prepare the rice to your liking. Fluffy with a bit of garlic is traditional.
Transfer chicken to a serving platter, and top with reduced sauce, and onion wedges. Serve with rice and your choice of garnish.