A warm and hearty soup like this one can soothe the soul in any weather. White Bean Soup with Fried Sage.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 cup onions, roughly chopped
- ½ cup celery, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves, chopped, plus more left whole for frying
- 1 pound dried cannelloni beans
- 6 cup chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the garlic, carrots, onions and celery and sautÃ© them, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften. About 6 minutes. Do not let the vegetables color. Turn the heat off and add the chopped sage leaves.
In a large Dutch oven with a lid, combine the beans with enough broth to cover them by about 2 inches, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and the sautÃ©ed onion mixture. Bring the pot to a low boil on top of the stove.
Cover the pot and bake until the beans are cooked, 1 to 1 ½ hours or so. Season to taste with more salt, and pepper. Set aside to cool.
Once the beans have cooled puree them with an immersion blender to the desired consistency. You may need to add more stock to achieve the texture you would like.
To serve ladle the soup into soup bowls and garnish with a few sag e leaves that have been fried in olive oil until crisp but not burned.