These stuffed summer squash may be light but they’re big on flavor. The flavor of the Amalfi coast.
Colotura di Alici is an Italian style fish condiment. It can be found in gourmet stores or ordered online.
- 6 small round summer squash
- good quality olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 anchovy fillets
- ¼ cup milk (for soaking anchovies if necessary)
- 2 tablespoon chopped italian parsley
- 4 slice good rustic bread or two cups prepared coarse bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon colatura di alici
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
Pre-heat oven to 350 F
Start by cutting off a little lid and hollowing out each of my squash.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sautÃ© pan set over medium hr=eat. Add the interior flesh, shallots, garlic, 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and the prepared anchovies.
If you can find salt-packed as opposed to oil-packed anchovies try and get them.
The salt-packed variety needs to be soaked to remove the salt and reconstitute them somewhat. I often do this in milk.
Cook this mixture 6–8 minutes until the anchovies practically disintegrate into the vegetables. To this mixture add chopped parsley and freshly toasted coarse breadcrumbs.