The flavorful broth is enough to make this recipe for steamed clams special but steamed clams with chickpeas become an entire meal.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green garlic bulbs (white and pale-green parts only)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 pound Manila or littleneck clams (scrubbed)
- 1 (15oz) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) dill
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) tarragon leaves
- salt and pepper
- lemon zest (to taste)
- grilled or toasted bread
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook green garlic, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced somewhat, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream and lemon juice. Add clams and chickpeas and increase heat to medium-high. Cover and cook, shaking occasionally, until clams open, about 5 minutes; discard any that don’t open. Add crème fraîche and stir until melted into the sauce. Add dill and tarragon; season with salt and pepper. Cook about 20 seconds to soften herbs. Top with lemon zest; serve with bread.