On the outside, a blood orange looks like any other thick-skinned orange, with just the slightest blush indicating that is something special hiding inside. Slice one open and its sunset-hued secret is revealed – so arresting in its beauty. Like all citrus, blood oranges pair beautifully with both gin and bourbon so you may choose either spirit for the Spring Forward cocktail.
- 2 ounce gin or bourbon
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- ½ ounce maraschino liqueur (such as Luxardo)
- 1 dash Miracle Mile sour cherry bitters
- 1 dash Regans orange bitters
- 1 blood orange twist (as garnish)
Combine all ingredients except blood orange twist in a cocktail shaker 2/3 filled with medium ice cubes. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with the twist; its oil expressed onto the surface and rubbed onto the rim of the drink then draped on edge of the glass.