This Spicy Flank Steak with Apple Slaw Naanwich is sorta like a gyro or a puffy taco. It’s a creative way to turn up the wow factor in a plain old sandwich.
- 1 cup apple juice
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup (plus 1 tablespoon) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 scallions (whites and most of the greens thinly sliced) divided
- 2 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (divided)
- 1 flank steak (about 2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 shallots (peeled and thinly sliced)
- kosher salt (as needed for seasoning)
- 3 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 2 tablespoon chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple (cored and cut into matchsticks)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 pieces naan (about 8 inches in diameter)
Marinate the flank steak: In a medium bowl, combine the apple juice, soy sauce, ¼ cup lemon juice, 4 sliced scallions, minced garlic, ginger, and 2 tablespoons sesame oil. Place the flank steak in a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Seal the bag and transfer it to a rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
Make the sauce: In a small skillet, heat the canola oil. Add the shallots, season with salt and cook over medium-high heat, until lightly golden and softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape the shallots into a blender or food processor and allow the to cool slightly, then add crushed garlic, 2 remaining sliced scallions, chili paste, rice vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil and brown sugar. Process until smooth, season to taste and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
Make the apple slaw: In a medium bowl, toss the apples with granulated sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice; set aside.
Grill the flank steak: A half hour before grilling, remove the flank steak from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
Meanwhile, light the grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove the flank steak from the marinade, scraping off excess. Discard marinade.
Grill the flank steak over medium-high heat. For a steak that is about 1 ½‑inch thick, cook it for 6 minutes on the first side. Then flip it over and continue to cook until the steak is done, about 4–6 minutes more medium-rare, longer if you prefer more well done.
When cooked to your liking move the steak on a cutting board. Allow it to rest for 6 to 8 minutes. Cut the steak across the grain into thin strips.
Make the naanwich: Heat a griddle or large skillet and warm the naan, on both sides, until pliable and just beginning to toast. Generously spread some of the prepared sauce onto the center of a piece of naan, layer on 4 or 5 slices flank steak, then top with some apple slaw. Fold the naan in half like a taco, and fasten it closed with 1 or 2 toothpicks. Repeat with remaining pieces of naan. Serve immediately.