Poisson cru is French for raw fish. In Tahiti, it what they call ceviche. This ceviche is made with lots of crisp veggies.
- 1 pound sashimi-grade raw fish, cut into 3/4‑inch dice
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 cup maui onion, cut in ¼‑inch dice
- ½ red bell pepper, cored, trimmed and cut into ¼‑inch dice
- 1 medium tomato, cored, seeded and diced
- green onions, thinly sliced, as garnish
- .75 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 1 cup japanese cucumber, diced
Put the cubed fish into a bowl and mix it with the lime juice. Marinate it for about 5 minutes. This is all the “cooking” the fish will need. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, and coconut milk to the bowl. Salt to taste and garnish with green onion. Serve immediately.