I hope this recipe for Grilled Asparagus with Warm Crab Salad will inspire you to devote more real estate on your grill to vegetables.
- 2 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup unsalted butter (cut into 8 even slices)
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- 1 ½ pound thin to medium thick asparagus (woody ends trimmed)
- 2–3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1–2 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh chives (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (plus more for garnish)
- 8 ounce cooked lump crab meat (carefully inspected for shell)
- 1–2 tablespoon pickled mustard seeds (optional, see recipe)
Make the sauce: In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the shallot and wine and boil over high heat until reduced to ½ cup, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, whisk in the butter 1 slice at a time making sure each addition is emulsified before adding more; season with salt and pepper. Set aside in a warm place.
Grill the asparagus: Place the asparagus on a flat surface and drizzle with the olive oil then roll the asparagus to coat on all sides. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat, turning frequently until just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
To serve: Gently reheat the butter sauce without boiling. Add lemon zest, cayenne, chives, dill, and crab. Fold gently until crab is just heated through. Spoon the herbed crab over the warm asparagus. Garnish with additional herbs and pickled mustard seeds (if using).