This super simple salad is big on fresh flavors, even though the white beans come from a can. I use very small zucchini when I find them. The kind that is less than an inch in diameter. But more mature zucchini is good too. In that case quarter them lengthwise before slicing thinly. Also, I like to serve the green beans raw in this sald. They add a fresh crunch that really defines the whole thing. But slice them thinly so that the acid in the lemon juice softens their "green" taste.
- 2 can (15 oz each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 ounce ounces green beans, trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 ounce fresh parmesan cheese, crumbled
- 2 lemons, zest and juice only
- 1 big handful basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper
In a medium bowl, place cannellini beans, zucchini, green beans, Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and basil; season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Small zucchini are sweeter than larger ones, especially when used raw.