Squash blossoms a have a very delicate flavor. Mild greens, creamy cheese and a few herbs are all that is needed to highlight their best qualities.
You may remove the stamens from the flowers before you make the salad if you like. Some people find them bitter, but they do not bother me. Serves 4
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 head butter lettuce or other mild green leafed lettuce
- 2 cup squash blossoms
- 3 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 large, ripe hass avocados
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, crumbled
- a variety of summer herbs, minced
In a large serving bowl whisk together lemon juice, oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Add lettuce and squash blossoms, sun flower seeds and avocado slices until well coated. Using a small scoop or melon baller top the salad with ricotta balls. Garnish with a pinch of mixed herbs of your choice and serve.