Roasted Beet Salad with Grapefruit, Frisée and Minted Crème Fraîche can provide that vivid pop of color even in the dead of winter.
- 3 pound medium beets, preferably a mix of colors
- 6 clove whole garlic (halved crosswise)
- 3 (½-inch wide) strips orange peel
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt (as needed for seasoning)
- 3 teaspoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar (plus more for drizzling on roasted beets)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling on roasted beets)
- freshly cracked black pepper (as needed for seasoning)
- 2 grapefruits (pelled and cut into supreme segments)
- 2 heads baby frisée
- 1 cup minted crème fraîche (see recipe)
- flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Remove the greens and scrub the beets well. Arrange the beets on a roasting pan large enough to hold them in a single layer and add the garlic cloves, orange peels, thyme, bay leaves, black peppercorns and water. Drizzle the mixture with ¼ cup olive oil and season generously with salt. Cover tightly with foil and bake up to 1 hour, or until the beets are tender (start checking at 40 minutes); transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet and let cool somewhat; discard the liquid and aromatics.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the shallot and vinegar. Whisk in extra-virgin olive oil; season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Set aside.
Peel and trim the beets and slice some of them into bite-sized wedges and some of them into rounds ¼ inch thick. Separate the beets by color to avoid discoloration. Drizzle beets with a little red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil, tossing to coat. Set aside.
Strip away and discard the tough, darker green outer leaves of the frisée. Rinse and dry the remaining leaves well.
To serve: dress the frisée with half the prepared vinaigrette. On each of the plate spoon a dollop of minted crème fraîche. The use the back of the spoon to swoop into a gentle curve. Arrange the beets and grapefruits on top and tuck in the frisée in neat tufts. Drizzle a small amount of remaining vinaigrette onto the salad. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.