This is a sophisticated take on a classic straight out of the Dairy Queen. Plantain “Banana” Split.
- 1 large black, soft plantain that's almost mushy (they take longer than bananas to ripen. Give it a week and a half lead time)
- 2 tablespoon butter or organic canola oil
- ounce vanilla bean ice cream as needed
- ⅓ cup bittersweet chocolate chips or a few sections from a bar
- ounce Handful of pecan halves
Slice plantains and fry in a large skillet in butter or oil till soft, brown and caramelized, or roast them with oil in the oven on a baking sheet at 400 degrees, turning once.
Toast the pecans in the oven for a few minutes until brown but not burnt.
When the plaintains are done, set aside.
Heat the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave on low in 30-second increments until soft and oozing, or cook on stove in double boiler. Stir chocolate.
Assemble plantain slices in two bowls or plates with a scoop of ice cream, and drip the chocolate sauce over ice cream, then sprinkle with pecan pieces.
Eat, then lick bowl in other room.