- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mango juice
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot chinese mustard (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled & minced
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 16 bite-size pieces abalone steak, pounded to 3/8-inch thick
- 8 bite-size pieces pineapple cut to 3/8-inch thick
Mix soy sauce, mango juice, vinegar, mustard, ginger, and garlic together in a bowl. Reserve ⅓ of the mixture for a sauce. Put abalone steaks in a shallow baking dish, pour marinade over. Marinate the steaks for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate covered up to 4 hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat (no large flames).
Put the reserved sauce in a saucepan, whisk in the brown sugar. Simmer over low heat until slightly thickens to a syrupy consistency. Strain and set side in a warm place.
Onto each of 8 pre-soaked 6-inch bamboo skewers weave one piece of abalone steak followed by one piece of pineapple and finished with another piece of abalone. Be sure to pierce each piece lengthwise through the narrow sides so that the skewers will lie flat on the grill.
Grill over high heat until abalone is cooked, about 1 minute per side. Move the cooked skewers to a warm platter. Drizzle with the warm sauce and serve immediately.
makes 8 skewers to serve 2 to 4 as an appetizer