Truffled salt transforms regular fries into on olfactory experience that is hard to beat.
serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon white truffle oil
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 3 pound russet potatoes (about 3 large), unpeeled, cut into "fries"
Mix salt pepper and truffle oil together very well. Set aside.
1. Line 2 large baking sheets with paper towels.
2.Attach candy thermometer to side of large deep pot (do not let tip touch bottom). Add enough peanut oil to pot to reach depth of 3 inches. Heat oil over medium heat to 300Â°F.
3. Place potatoes between 2 kitchen towels and pat dry. Working in batches, add potatoes to oil and cook until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally and maintaining heat at 300Â°F, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer potatoes to 1 prepared baking sheet to drain.
4. Heat same oil until temperature reaches 360Â°F to 365Â°F. Working in batches, add same fries to oil and cook until golden brown, maintaining temperature between 360Â°F and 365Â°F, about 2 minutes per batch.
5. Transfer to second prepared baking sheet to drain. Transfer french fries to serving dish; sprinkle with the truffled salt, then serve.