This Italian classic is a as simple and rustic as food can be. It also happens to be as delicious as food can be!
- 12 baby artichokes
- enough olive oil and or peanut oil to deep fry (depends on your fryer)
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedges (optional)
1. Trim away a few of the tough outer leaves of each artichoke, Then chop off about ⅓ of the top of the artichoke and trimmed the stem down so that the artichoke will sit flat.
2. Use your fingers to pry and prod the leaves open some. Then invert the artichoke and gently flattened it a bit more using the palm of your hand. Gently is the key word here. They break easy. Drop each artichoke in acidulated water until ready to use.
3. The first fry is to blanch only so heat your oil to 300 degree F oil. Dry the artichokes off well before continuing. Drop a few at time into the oil for about 2 minutes. Remove them to a paper towel lined plate to drain (upside down). Work in batches so that you do not crowd the fryer.
4. When you are ready to serve the artichokes raise the temperature of the oil to 360 degrees F. They will sizzle and get brown and crunchy quickly; about 2 minutes total frying time should do it. Again, work in batches, and turn them over in the oil a few times while cooking.
5. Drain them well and give them a good sprinkle of excellent salt and a bit of pepper. A little spritz of lemon juice is good too. But you MUST eat them hot to fully enjoy their textures!